Sunday, August 1, 2010

Treasure Hunting

{sorry for the dark photo}

Sadly, I didn't get to the yard sale at Curtis Hall this weekend. I had to go and spend two hours at the hair salon getting my hair done. Not something I wanted to do on a beautiful Saturday. Especially since I saw a million yard sale flyers- it tore my heart out. But my hair turned out looking great so it isn't all bad.

Thankfully, I have last week's treasures waiting to be documented. All treasures came from Boomerangs, some from the West Roxbury store where I work and some from the Jamaica Plain store. I got a 1950's white lambswool sweater with embroidered flowers, a cloth belt with a mother of pearl buckle, a tweed wool coat with black crochet lace, a 1950/60's brocade dress, and a red vinyl ottoman that didn't make it into the photo. I am happy with all my purchases except the wool coat. It is super cute but I ended up ruining it by soaking it in oxyclean. I have always had great success giving my vintage clothing a good soak in a weak dilution of oxyclean but the coat was lined in some weird fabric that obviously wasn't color fast. It bleed all over the coat and now it is covered dark colored splotches. I am really disappointed but I know how to sew so I will remake the coat using it as a pattern and I think I can salvage the lace. I never like when a treasure becomes a huge project but sometimes it just turns out that way.

I have decided that I am going to turn my treasure hunting into a weekly feature here on my blog. I usually go searching on Saturdays so I will post my treasures on Sunday. Be sure to check back next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment